Sunday, December 14, 2008

Raphael Saadiq





















I had the honor of painting a shirt for the legendary Raphael Saadiq and meeting with him after the John Legend concert in Durham this weekend. Saadiq asked me to do a piece of James Jamerson, a legendary bass guitar player from Motown and Saadiq's idol.
If you dont think you know who Saadiq is, you probably do... I made a playlist on Imeem of some of his hits from when he was with Lucy Pearl, Tony! Toni! Tone! and from his solo career...

But besides the music he's made with T!T!T! and Lucy Pearl he's also produced for and worked with artists such as D' Angelo, Joss Stone, Musiq Soulchild, John Legend, Kelis, Mary J. Blige, Teedra Moses, Anthony Hamilton, Earth, Wind & Fire, Q-Tip, The Roots, and Floetry just to name a few....
So as you can imagine, doing artwork for such a musical genius was quite a big deal for me as an artist...and as a fan. Turns out the man is really down to earth and cool peoples to chill wit!

ALSO! A friend of mine, Pierce Freelon, founder of Blackademics.org did an interview with Saadiq while he was here with us in Durham.
and I'll soon be posting a link to the Saadiq's interview with Christopher "Play" Martin when I get a hold of it.

BY THE WAY! his new album "The Way I See It" is incredible. Being that I am jus a lil young buck it took me a while to fully appreciate the magnitude of this album, but none the less it is deff one of the albums in my small collection of legally attained albums (thats the bootlegers version of a compliment, lol, meaning it's worth paying for even though I coulda got it for free)

Much love and thanks to Raphael Saadiq!

"The truly blessed are best at sharing their blessings..."